12 December 2017
A recent study by BOVAG revealed that 96 percent of all Dutch motorists do not replace their windshield wipers in time. This leads to unsafe situations in traffic. How can you tell when it is time to replace your wipers? Rompa’s resident windshield wiper expert Paul van der Linden has five tips.
Windshield wipers are made of plastic and rubber components. Every year, Rompa produces circa eighty million plastic windshield wiper components for Bosch, with which millions of wiper blades are made. “The rubber on the windshield wipers wears down first,” says Paul van der Linden, international sales and marketing manager at Rompa. “It is advisable to replace your wiper blades every twelve to fifteen months. The best time to do so is just after the winter, because the wintery conditions are especially hard on the wipers. Do not wait until it is too late.”
What should you keep in mind when replacing your windshield wipers?
- Check the condition of the rubber components every year. Cold temperatures, snow and ice are especially harmful and often lead to damage, such as holes or tears;
- If your vision does not improve after using the wipers, e.g. because your windshield is blurry, your wiper blades are probably in need of replacement;
- If the windshield wipers do not clean the entire windshield after a few wipes and if they leave smears, you should have the wipers checked out;
- If you hear a squeaky noise, that can also be a sign of wear;
- If you are not sure whether you should replace your wiper blades, have a professional mechanic inspect them for you.